I think a better title would be “night 4” because really, that’s where the action was. Yesterday evening was fairly uneventful. Everyone had a good dinner, brief bath time and went to bed on time.
Then I went to bed on time.
Then about 2 hours later:
- Anjali woke up at 12:30 coughing and needing water.
- Rebekah woke up at 2…and I prayed that she’d get herself back to sleep.
- I finally went in at 2:30 and gave her a small bottle
- She finally fell back to sleep at 3
- I finally fell back to sleep around 4? No idea….
Crossing my fingers that Day 5 will be relatively uneventful. As far as the to-do list, it is becoming the ‘to-do later’ list :)
Productivity around here seems to be slowing down. But, that doesn’t mean good stuff isn’t happening!
Day 2 included:
- Food of all sorts
- Successful dual bath time for the little ladies (sometimes this is tricky for me - still haven’t mastered the 2-kids-in-a-tub-when-one-is-very-slippery situation)
- Quick weatherization of the house to prepare for the blizzard of 2013
- Getting the kids into their beds by 7 and 8
- Having a friend come over and catch up…I wound up going to bed after 11 and then didn’t sleep well…but it was worth it!
- 2 slow cookers going all day to churn out a lovely turkey sweet potato chili
- Canceled trip up to see friends and do a play date of sorts, after they got sick…again :(
- Quick trip to Home Depot
- Quick trip to HEB after I *thought* I had run out of food for Rebekah (turns out I found the stash about 2 minutes after we got back from HEB…figures).
- Skipped bath time for both since Rebekah was ready for bed and AJ wanted to read and play.
- I had things cleaned up by about 8:30, did some quick email and then hit the pillow at 9 and slept pretty well until Becks started stirring at….4:25, 5:15, etc.
Day 4 and Day 5 await! Who knows what they will bring (although dishes and laundry seem to be a good bet at this point). Not making a lot of progress on the list, but here are my excuses:
1. It’s been cooooold in the garage after the kiddos go to sleep, so not much progress on that one. But at least I did buy some of the materials, right?
2. I’m tired.
Reminder: this is what I wanted to do
This is what I actually did:
- Cleaned up the kitchen
- Put the girlies to bed: Becks goes down around 7PM, and AJ ‘helped’ with that by playing quietly while I fed and sang to Rebekah. AJ and I then read about 30-40 minutes of Bible stories and she went down without a fight :)
- Took AJ to one last bathroom trip approximately 15 minutes after she went to bed (incredibly, sometimes mind-numbingly typical)
- Prepped breakfast for this morning for the kiddos (including a cup ready for hot tea for me!)
- Put away laundry
- Cleaned up the garage, not in its final state, but good enough for now. I essentially need to go to the hardware store to get some more organizing goodies for that space, but I currently have all the random hooks off the walls, piles for various types of items (donate, trash, sort through, etc.). I was able to pull the car into the garage last night for the first time in weeks. And just in time for the first freeze of the year - yippee!!
- Moved the dogs into the office (I like for them to sleep there when Amar is gone - less work for me in the morning with the letting them out, feeding them, etc.).
- Cleaned up my closet: started 2 donate piles (maternity and regular, since I hope to resell some maternity items). Really, this was just 10 minutes of me folding stuff and picking stuff up from the floor. It’s amazing how trashed a 4’ x 6’ space can look after just a few days of not picking up clothes/shoes/etc. Victory!
- Watched the end of 2 shows I had started over the weekend: Burn Notice & New Girl
And while we’re on the subject of TV, a few thoughts on what we’re (ok, I’m) currently watching:
- We’re only on season 3 of Burn Notice, so no spoilers please! We started this on the recommendation of a friend and are relatively pleased with it so far (although I could do with less of the Miami beach body scene, thanks). This is one that both Amar and I watch.
- New Girl: another friend recommendation that’s turned out well. Good cast dynamics and it’s pretty entertaining without straying too far into shady territory.
- Bones: just love it. You should watch it.
- Modern Family: a good go-to during the week
- Parenthood: ahhhh! Love this so much, but it can get a bit awkward. Amar refuses to watch this one with me.
I know this sounds like a lot, but for someone that grew up having a TV in their room (horrible, horrible family decision, but I ran with it when I was 12!), I’ve scaled waaaay back.
Oh, and Jimmy Fallon clips. He is amazing.
Amar is traveling, and for some reason I become super productive when I’m a single parent (as daunting as I always feel these weeks are…). So here’s my wish list of things I’d like to accomplish. Sharing with you, oh great internet, in hopes of some accountability:
- Finish (continue?) cleaning out the garage
- Hang pegboard in the garage
- Hang pegboard in the office
- Clean up the office (will this EVER be done? Short answer: No.)
- Cook one night for dinner sharing*
- Grow 4 front teeth. Oh wait, that’s Rebekah and for the LOVE!? Will these teeth please come out already? We (yes, WE) are tired of this round so just getonwithitalready!!!
- Finish editing and publishing my pictures that are still on my camera from: Lake Tahoe, Christmas Tree Farm field trip, Pumpkin Patch day and others…
- Hang pictures that fell off the wall. No one was injured, but I need to re-think the decor situation in the play room.
- Try my hand at this artisan bread in 5 minutes a day thing. Currently inspired by a book that a friend loaned me. Just need to overcome my intense fear of failure and try it.
- Homework for church. Yes, we have homework thanks to the super amazing Dr. Chris Thurman, we are delving deep into our crazy psyche and doing some heavy lifting. Also, I’m realizing there’s a lot of personal maturing that needs to be happening…oy.
*Dinner sharing: me and two friends each cook 1 night a week, but cook enough for meals for 2 families (one dinner + leftovers). This is rockin’ my socks off, and making me more prone to try new recipes. I’m actually enjoying cooking…heh, well, sort of.